Tuesday 6 May 2014

Avocado and Egg Salad Crostini


I've seen the combination of egg salad and avocados pop up a few times over the past year but it did not appeal to me at the time.  But with 2 avocados on their way out and a fresh batch of farm eggs recently purchased, I decided to give it a try.  And I am very glad I did!  So delicious and extra creamy! 


Everyone has their own way of hard-boiling eggs.  I start large eggs in a pot with enough water to cover them by an inch or so.  Bring the water to a boil and allow to boil for exactly 2 minutes then immediately remove from heat.  Allow to sit in the water for about 17 minutes.  Rinse under cold water.   Store in fridge until ready to use.  The yolks should be a bright yellow, not grey!






Ingredients:
Sliced baguette or other small bread slices
3 large hard-boiled eggs
2 ripe avocados
1-2 Tbsp yogurt or mayonnaise
Lemon
S&P









Toast the bread slices (I used mini whole grain buns that I had on hand).








Mash egg and avocado together with a fork then add mayo (or yogurt for lower fat) and season to taste.  Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice in for extra flavour.  Top with cilantro if available.


No comments:

Post a Comment