Tuesday 3 December 2013

Johnny Cake (a.k.a. Northern Cornbread)


I've been thinking about this breakfast dish for years.  I don't know why it took so long to ask my mom for the recipe.  We used to eat this as kids ... presumably on weekends but I've never had much of a memory for my childhood.  Just bits and pieces of delicious comfort food meals and lots of tv watching (and maybe some Atari video games).  This goes very well with a lazy weekend morning watching movies in bed!

Back then, it was meant to be served with Roger's Golden Syrup - nowadays I prefer real maple syrup, but whatever works for you ...



It can easily be used as a regular savoury cornbread.  Mix in a bit of corn, cheddar cheese, maybe some jalapenos.  Or just with this basic recipe, it will go well with a hot bowl of chili.  But if that's what you are looking for, I would suggest my recipe for Bacon Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins

Here is my mom's recipe card:



In case it is not obvious, combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients - by the way, I assumed the use of milk and a "little bit of vinegar" was a replacement for buttermilk so I actually used 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk.





Stir the wet ingredients into the dry.  Spread into a greased pan, or in my case, I just used a non-stick baking pan - 8" x 8".








It does not need 40 minutes, check after about 25 minutes and remove when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.









Serve hot with butter and warmed syrup ...



No comments:

Post a Comment