Monday 11 July 2016

Harvest Monday: July 11, 2016


This is my submission to the Harvest Monday posts hosted by Our Happy Acres.  I missed last week so this is a two-week summary of what I have harvested (and what I have done with my harvest).


I used this last bit of spinach I could get from the already bolting plants to make a tart (shown in main picture).  A small amount of onion and garlic was sauteed with the spinach, then mixed with some ricotta and goat cheese and baked on puff pastry.  An earlier version of this tart also included some cherry tomatoes.

(L to R) Xanthia, King of the North, Pimiento and Gypsy (at bottom)

These peppers all came from the greenhouse.  These were early ones and I don't anticipate having too many ripe ones for another couple of weeks.  But there are a LOT of peppers coming up on the plants, like these Feher Ozon peppers:



I harvested my first (and so far, the only) broccoli spear.  I noticed two worms on the plant and have not had time to search for more as I haven't been at home much.  Unfortunate, as there are also some nicely formed cabbage in the same bed.  Hopefully I'll have a chance later this week before too much damage is done.



This kale went into a delicious fennel and kale risotto I made when I had company the previous weekend.  I was originally going to make a pasta and realized I had none.  I'm glad I had that box of arborio rice on hand!

White Russian, Tuscan, Curly Scarlet


And my first ever harvest of shelling peas!  This is most of the harvest but I do have some left on the plants that I'll get to later this week.


And a nice looking beet ... for once!!  I think I have a lot of problems growing beets with crowding being the biggest (but by no means the only problem).  Just happy to have this one for now (and the little golden beets are small, but I'm still looking forward to eating them too)!



Check out Our Happy Acres to see what other gardeners are doing this week!


14 comments:

  1. Wow, ripe peppers already! I have lots of green ones but none ripe yet. That risotto dish does sound yummy. I love fennel, though I don't think I've even had it with rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just braise fennel in the oven but I really loved the risotto. Yes ripe peppers, but just a few, definitely have some time to wait for any others.

      Delete
  2. Like Dave, I'm impressed with your early and colorful peppers. Your meals sound wonderful, even if I'm not a fennel fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the early peppers.

      Delete
  3. Nice peppers, the color of the red ones is really eye-catching. Looks like you are having a good year with a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good year with some things, but bad with others. Ah well, that's how it goes with gardening.

      Delete
  4. That is one nice, big and beautiful beet! And congrats on your first shelling peas- they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO excited that I grew a beet that big, for once!

      Delete
  5. Wow, ripe peppers already! The greenhouse really makes a difference. The spinach tart looks delicious and I like the idea of adding cherry tomatoes to give it some zing. Ah, the first shelling peas, aren't they wonderful?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely all about the greenhouse, I don't think I've ever had real success with the peppers before the greenhouse.

      Delete
  6. Look at all those peppers! The Feher Ozon is doing really well for me also. I've read you can leave them to completely ripen if you want to dry them for paprika, but otherwise, I'm not exactly sure when they should be picked if you want to use them fresh.

    Congrats on the beets & peas! It's so gratifying when you successfully grow something for the first time, especially if, like that beet, it isn't your first try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I'm not really clear on when to pick the Feher Ozon as they go yellow very early, but not sure how they should be when ripe? I need to check this out soon. Glad to hear yours are doing well also!

      Delete
  7. Your spinach and broccoli look wonderful, and your peppers are huge already. That is one beautiful beet, I've never been able to get them to bulb up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phuong, it's been a good year so far. This one success with beets might just keep me going with them as I considered giving up!

      Delete