Sunday 18 June 2017

Greenhouse Peppers and Tomatoes


This seems like a good time to share an update on my pepper and tomato plants, because check it out - I have a single ripe tomato already!  OK, it's an anomaly ... mostly I just have flowers and a few very immature fruit on the vines. 


This one is Andrina.  I admit I was suspicious of the description of an "extremely dwarf" tomato plant reaching to only 6" high.  But here they are in full bloom.  In fact, these plants are so short, it is a challenge to remove enough lower leaves so they aren't touching the soil (to avoid rot when watering). 



 I have several of these in the greenhouse, along with many other plants.  They fit in well for now, but in a few months it will be a bit crowded and I will need to use a fan to move the air around a bit.


Another dwarf tomato plant I am growing, though not quite so short, is Hahms Gelbe with yellow cherry tomatoes.


All other tomato plants that I am growing this year are planted outside (Sophie's Choice, Mountain Princess, Forme de Couer and the only indeterminate tomato this year ... Gregori's Altai).  I also have about 15 pepper plants outside of the greenbouse, but here is a quick look at some inside:

Ancho pepper plant

Sweet red pimiento and jalapeno peppers

Feher Ozon - paprika pepper

Hungarian Hot Wax

Hungarian Hot Wax are always the first of the season to develop fruit.  I have at least one of each of the following pepper plants in the greenhouse but also 2-3 of each outside in either hay bales or a dug garden space:

- Ancho
- Hungarian Hot Wax
- Super Red Pimiento
- Feher Ozon
- King of the North
- Jalapeno
- Gypsy
- Corno di Toro

It is looking promising so far, but weather is such a huge factor with peppers and tomatoes. Today is a great hot day to kick start some of the plants outside as they were planted a bit late.

2 comments:

  1. When I saw this come up on my sidebar, I thought...No! I can't believe it! I don't even have immature fruit yet and only a couple of flowers on one of the still tiny tomato plants. Your greenhouse is really paying off this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A ripe tomato is a ripe tomato! And it's one more than I have at the moment. That Andrina really does sound like a dwarf.

    ReplyDelete