Monday 26 June 2017

Harvest Monday: June 26, 2017


This is how desperate I am to show something I've harvested - a handful of wild strawberries. Ha!  Wild strawberries grow everywhere in my yard.  And I mean everywhere.  I cannot be bothered to harvest any due to the effort involved.  The biggest one shown above is still smaller than my smallest fingernail.  And I can't eat the ones that grow throughout my lawn as I don't like the idea of the contamination of gas from the mower.

But what the heck - I was hanging about the greenhouse yesterday and noticed many plants surrounding the edges of the greenhouse and thought I'd grab a few.  Amazing flavour, by the way, but still not quite worth it for me.  Besides, if I leave the wild strawberries to the bunny living in my yard, he/she might just keep away from the goodies in my garden.

Not a great pic, but shows how big it is!

And I'm happy to say that garlic scapes are now available.  I've harvested less than half (shown below) and will leave the rest for a week or so as they were a bit smaller.


And I'm not entirely sure how to deal with the Egyptian walking onions.  They seemed to be leaning in the wrong direction with the new clusters (the flowers??).  So I pulled a few to clean them up and pushed them towards the area I wanted the new growth to go - will see how it goes.  In the meantime, I think I just use them as I would spring onions and the bulbs to be treated like regular onions, just a bit smaller?  Looking for advice here.


Overall, the spring has been a bit difficult here with lots of rain and not much sunshine.  I have not had any greens at all yet, despite several seedings, but expect some pretty soon.  As always, I look forward to seeing what other gardeners are doing around the world by checking in at Harvest Monday hosted by Our Happy Acres.



12 comments:

  1. I grew the walking onions years ago but I can't remember what I did with them. I'm growing multiplier onions this year that make little onions the size of shallots, and I plan on using them like regular onions. I hope the rabbit understands your plan and sticks to the wild strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have multiplier onions this year for the first time and I'm interested in what I'll see size-wise.

      Yes indeed on the rabbit, it's been good so far!

      Delete
  2. Funny, I have the same opinion about wild strawberries, to small to merit serious harvesting but they are good as a snack in the garden. Dang rabbits...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garlic scapes are such a treat. It sounds like you've had an incredibly wet spring, which makes it really hard. I admit to eating lawn strawberries a couple of times, but we don't get many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy wet spring this year. Yes, I do love the scapes as an early hint of garlic while waiting for the big prize!

      Delete
  4. Garlic scales and wild strawberries -- the flavors of springtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid autocorrect. Doesn't know what garlic scapes are...

      Delete
  5. I would also like to know what to do with these Walking Onions... I bought one at a plant fair last year and it has ahead of onions but what to do with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know if I have any good ideas :)

      Delete
  6. I pull my walking onion early in the spring and use like scallion. I also freeze the extra for later use when making broth. I have also experimented with using the mature bulbils like I would pearl onions but they are a pain to peel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea, Norma, thanks! I've just thrown that whole batch into a pot with some garlic to make a light broth.

      Delete