It's peak season for summer veggies and I've got plenty to choose from in the garden (or more to the point, sitting on my kitchen counter!). This dish is versatile and can be served at any meal ... breakfast with a side of bacon, lunch with a salad or dinner alongside your favourite protein.
Set oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a deep dish pie pan.
Whisk together in a bowl:
- 3 duck eggs (or 5-6 chicken eggs, you need about 1 cup of egg)
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk, but regular 2% is fine)
- 2/3 cup aged cheddar or your choice of cheese
- 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups of cubed bread (something crusty like a baguette).
Saute, olive oil, until softened:
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, sliced (I used 2 corno di toro)
- 1 cup of zucchini, sliced into half-moons (I used the colourful Zapolitto del Tronco squash)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, and salt & pepper
Arrange on top of the bread and egg mixture. Dot with a bit of goat cheese. Bake about 25 minutes, until bread has puffed and browned.