Wednesday 6 November 2013

Romanesco Cauliflower - Growing Challenges



 

This is what Romanesco cauliflower should look like (above).  And these pictures below show what my "Veronica Hybrid" Romanesco-style cauliflower looked like a week ago, 5 months after it was planted ... they ranged from almost normal but ridiculously small to full-on deformity (and why some are purple I have no idea):




I have never attempted to grow cauliflower before this year and clearly have no idea what I'm doing.  I know that it is generally a fall weather crop, but when am I supposed to start growing them?  I know these types of crops can handle frost, even a hard frost, but we've already had a light snow and even if they weren't deformed, they still would not have time to grow before full-on winter (sorry to bring that up).  The summer's are just so hot and humid here which is what I assume caused the deformed versions ... so when do I start fall crops (in Eastern Ontario)!?  I started some broccoli late summer to have a fall crop and they are still tiny.  I really want some broccoli and cauliflower of my own next season. 

This post is nothing but a cry for help from experienced gardeners who may have some advice.  To avoid this from being completely pathetic, here is a very tasty idea for eating cauliflower that I originally found years ago from Mario Batali, but it seems everyone is making it these days.  Otherwise, please help me grow cauliflower!

Roasted Cauliflower

Remove core and chop into florets.  On a baking pan, toss the cauliflower with olive oil (about 4-5 Tbsp per pound of cauliflower) and season with salt and pepper.

Roast for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees F or under the broiler (about 4 inches from broiler) for 15-20 minutes, until cauliflower is tender and just starting to char in spots.  Squeeze some lemon juice over top and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.




No comments:

Post a Comment