Monday 9 November 2015

Harvest Monday: November 9, 2015


A basket of greens ... and happy to have it! 

In fact, I'm quite thrilled with this harvest of arugula.  This is the first year that I planned for greens in the fall.  Usually I plant greens (you know, lettuce and such) in the spring and they die off by September.  This year, I did a second planting of arugula, chard and escarole mid-summer.  The second planting of chard (that's Ruby Red chard in the basket) wasn't really necessary as the spring-planted chard was still producing ... so lesson learned.

I also didn't realize that arugula survived frost so well.  In fact, there have been a number of nights with freezing temperatures recently and the arugula is still in great shape!  This week's harvest of arugula is much more tender than a month ago (not sure why).

The top portion of the basket is Tuscan Kale.  I harvested a small amount for a meal I was planning, but I left a bunch just so I have something to post next week for Harvest Monday!

Pop by Our Happy Acres to see what other folks around the globe are harvesting this week.

9 comments:

  1. If you keep chard cut it should produce for you up to first frost. It isn't real cold tolerant so it's not going to be a winter crop. Arugula on the other hand is pretty good. My neighbor in the garden planted a second sowing and is gladly cutting it now, happy to have something green. Mache is supposed to be another cold tolerant green. Trouble is you have to plan ahead and plant them early enough so they have enough growth before cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the whole timing thing is challenging to manage! Hmm, I'll look into Mache when ogling the seed catalogues this winter - thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful basket of greens. My kale was a bit of a bust this year, so I'm glad I've been able to get some from the farm, including some Tuscan. I've never had it before & quite like it so I'll have to add that to my seed stash next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only grown Kale two years now and mainly Tuscan. It seems very hardy in the garden and versatile in dishes. But I'd like to try some new varieties next year.

      Delete
  3. Good old reliable greens! They are the mainstay of my mild winter garden, if I get around to starting them at the right time, which I didn't this year. I think cool weather arugula is the best. It gets tough and spicy when the weather warms up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was really surprised at how tender it was, but I guess it's the cool weather.

      Delete
  4. I'm always amazed at how hardy arugula is in my garden. And like Michelle says, it is more tender in the fall and winter. I am looking to make pesto later this week and I can't decided if I want to use kale or arugula. Maybe some of both?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should plan on planting a fall crop of arugula next year my spring plantings never do well. Hear you about the "timing" some years I get it right other year I am either too early or too late.

    ReplyDelete