Monday 9 May 2016

Harvest Monday: May 9, 2016


The asparagus is coming up ... slowly.  But I'll take whatever I can get!  Not all of the plants have started to produce yet so the pace should pick up in the next week or two.

Meanwhile, I've started the cucurbits (summer and winter squash, melons, cukes, etc.) in potting soil.  They grow quickly and should be ready to transplant outside in early June.  I sowed seeds for Crystal Apple cucumbers in the greenhouse bed but the rest of the cucurbits will be planted in hay bales outside.
 

And yikes, the tomato and pepper seedlings really need to get in the ground soon!  But not this week as there is a frost advisory for the next few nights. I started them later than last year but they are more advanced than expected - must be the fish emulsion I've been using.

Xanthi peppers

Some have started to flower, which isn't good for transplanting (so I'll pick off the flowers before I transplant - this will allow the plant to focus it's energy on settling into the new space rather than producing fruit).

Flower buds on Feher Ozon peppers

I look forward to seeing what other gardeners have on the go this week by linking up to Harvest Monday hosted by Our Happy Acres.



9 comments:

  1. Those tomatoes are looking good! I bet they are liking that fish emulsion. Mine are ready to plant but it needs to stop raining so I can prep the beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I think you are right about the fish emulsion - this is the first year that I've been consistent about applying it to seedlings and they certainly are looking pretty good!

      Delete
  2. Yay for asparagus! Your tomato and pepper plants are amazing looking. Mine are still tiny and the aphids have discovered the pepper plants already so the leaves are distorted. I hope they grow out of this awkward phase. Still a chance of frost?! Bleah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bleah, that's exactly how I feel about the frost. :) Sorry to hear about the aphids!

      Delete
  3. Your plants are looking good but it's a few weeks too early yet for peppers and maybe tomatoes. I'm just starting to pot up my plants from cell trays to pots. And looks like your expensive Xanthi peppers are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I babied the Xanthi and all are doing well. It's definitely a few weeks too early for the tomatoes and peppers so the seedlings are more advanced than they should be. Ah well, it's never quite perfect timing.

      Delete
  4. There is still a chance for frost in our area also. Your seedlings are sure off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely asparagus. And your tomato and pepper plants are looking fabulous. I hope the weather turns warmer for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is such an exciting time in the garden right now and so MUCH to do! Your transplants are looking great. I just seeded in small pots all of much squash, melons and cukes too.Sorry to hear about the frost warning but better be safe than sorry. One cold night could ruin all of your hard work. Enjoy that asparagus and have a great gardening week!

    ReplyDelete