Thursday 1 September 2016

Can You Name This Vegetable? Really.


I'm serious, this isn't a weird quiz to see if you know your stuff.  I don't know what this is.  I posted not long ago an update on the hay bale squashes I am growing and mentioned this squash plant growing out of my compost.  So I figured I would wait it out until something formed and I'd know what it was.  You can sort of see one on each of the vines ...


I've been MIA in the garden lately due to late days at work.  I finally had a chance to get a good look at what is going on today and found these.  It seems they sprouted out of nowhere which would leave me to believe they are a summer squash - but I don't recall growing any summer squash last year that looked like this?? And my sense of time is not great right now so maybe they've been growing for a while.

So it's about the length of a ladies size 8 right now.  LOL, weird picture of my foot with my toes partially in the shadow.


If it is a winter squash, it is definitely immature so hard to tell what it is going to look like mature.  Do the leaves help?  I googled images and couldn't figure it out.  I should mention that I very rarely buy vegetables at the store as I grow most of what I need.  And winter squash in particular - I have a cold room so I keep summer grown squash often until the following spring.  So this must be coming from something I grew???


If anyone has any guesses, please share in the comments!!!  If it is a summer squash, it is probably too late to harvest anyway (unless I want a lot of zucchini bread), so I'm willing to just see what happens at this point.



6 comments:

  1. My guess, and this really is just speculation, is that it is some cross of squashes that you grew last year. Another guess, based on shape and size is Spaghetti Squash. It will be interesting to see what it becomes. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am somewhat excited to have a possible Frankenstein veg. And I do regularly grow spaghetti squash but they tend not to have that colouring when immature. So maybe a weird version of spaghetti squash. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Michelle - I'm thinking it's a cross as well. It sort of looks like the first picture shown for the Lungo Bianco at Baker Creek - http://www.rareseeds.com/zucchini-lungo-bianco-sq/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like that picture Margaret, but definitely not something I've grown before!

      Delete
  3. Ditto what Michelle and Margaret said! I've let volunteer squash vines grow from my compost piles and I always seem to get a FrankenSquash. Yours looks more like a pale zucchini to me, but who knows if it crossed last year in your garden. Or if you grow any hybrid squash, and seeds from those you grew last year wind up sprouting, then you have an F2 from the hybrid which could be anything!

    ReplyDelete