Saturday 6 April 2013

Alton Brown's Waffle Recipe



I was going to plant the blueberry and raspberry canes this morning, but I woke up to -6oC and the ground was frozen ... again.  But better days coming soon.  With blueberries on my mind, I decided to make some waffles.  I have a waffle recipe that I normally use, but wanted to use up the buttermilk in the fridge and thought it would be healthier to have some whole wheat flour included, neither of which is in my recipe.  So I found this Alton Brown Waffle Recipe which is very tasty.  I made some minor changes: used half the sugar and replaced with the same amount of honey as I like a bit of honey to balance out the whole wheat flavour; separated the eggs and folded in beaten egg whites at the end; and, I also didn't have vegetable spray, so brushed the waffle iron with more melted butter.

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt 
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
3 whole eggs, separated - egg whites beaten until fluffy, but not stiff
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted 
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
Melted butter, for waffle iron

Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In another bowl beat together honey, egg yolks and melted butter, and then add the buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Fold in egg whites.  Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
  
Brush some melted butter onto the iron - don't forget the top as well!  
Ladle the appropriate amount of waffle batter onto the iron (mine takes about 2/3 cup). 





Close iron top and cook until the waffle is golden on both sides and is easily removed from iron (or on mine, when the light goes green!).  Top with butter, fresh fruit and warm maple syrup.
 


I slightly undercook the extras and keep them in a freezer bag for later use.  That way, they won't get too dried out when I reheat them in the toaster.