Monday 1 August 2016

Harvest Monday: August 1, 2016


Despite having a long weekend away from work (today is a Civic Holiday), I haven't had as much time to harvest as I'd hoped but for good reason - enjoying BBQ's with friends most days. Still, I've managed to pick a good variety of goodies from the garden, including these potatoes shown above (L to R: Linzer, Pink Fir Apple, Irish Cobbler).  This harvest was a result of cleaning out one bed of potato plants that had died off a few weeks ago (prematurely it seemed to me).  I still have those same three varieties in one other bed plus individual potato bags as well.  So hoping to get some more substantial harvests later on.


And I've had just a few tomatoes to nibble on as most are still green and need some time.  These chocolate cherry tomatoes were devoured quickly, still hot from the sun.


I have been giving away beans and only keeping enough for the odd meal.  Last year, I had blanched some and froze them in bags.  Most got used throughout the winter, although sometimes a bit reluctantly.  I'd rather let friends enjoy them fresh now without bothering to save myself any.  And I still have just a couple of beets now and then; I still struggle to grow them very well but do have a few more on the go.


This little bit of kale was just perfect for a large salad.  And that little side shoot of broccoli?  Well, I am happy to get a little bit of broccoli but hardly enough to do anything with at any one time.  I only grew broccoli this year to use up the seeds as I've generally given up on ever being successful with broccoli or cauliflower.



I would prefer to focus space and energy on one of my favourite crops - peppers!  They are generally pretty pricey and can easily be frozen.  Although I do need to look into purchasing a smoker as last year I had some challenges with my single burner BBQ unit.  Or maybe a dehydrator?  I need to decide what to do with these Feher Ozon - a sweet paprika pepper - as they seem to be rather plentiful.  They are also very top heavy so I've had to do a quick fix recently to keep them from toppling over (I may or may not stake them, these wood pieces seem to work for now!).


And lots of other peppers on the way (I feel like I keep saying that ... it does take a while to ripen up!).

Ancho

Gypsy

Hungarian Hot Wax

Jalapeno

Xanthia
Another Feher Ozon - turning orange!

And finally this ridiculous scene - I can't believe I have actually started to feed this thing because it's so darn cute.  I've been giving this baby squirrel some leftover nuts and it comes back every few days for more.  But I soon came to my senses after thinking it was so cute running around my feet looking for more food and then it tried to nibble on my toe ...



13 comments:

  1. Great harvests! Boy, I sure wish I had your success with peppers. They look great. I agree it's odd that some of your potatoes died back already. I'm expecting another few weeks before that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it should have been a few more weeks for me as well, but at least I got some from those plants. Hopefully the rest will do better ...

      Delete
  2. Wow, your peppers are really productive! I'm still waiting for the first ripe ones, not even a hint of color yet. Last night I used up a packet of frozen roasted sweet peppers and they were delicious. I grow some varieties for roasting and freezing, others for smoking, and yet others for drying - not all of them are great for all those preserving techniques so you might want to consider both a smoker and a dehydrator. Actually, I dehydrate my smoked peppers, smoking alone doesn't adequately dry them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually when I smoke peppers, I'll leave them to air dry but I agree a dehydrator would be quicker and probably better for proper storage. So yes, probably both!!

      Delete
  3. Wow - those are some great looking potatoes! It does seem to be a spectacular pepper year doesn't it? I'm thinking a lot of that has to do with the heat, although I still haven't had any peppers ripening up to the orange or red stage. And, like you, I'm still umming and ahhing about what to do with the Feher Ozon peppers. My plants are top heavy too, but since they are in the middle of the bed, I think they are being supported by the other plants. And another laugh with the toe biting squirrel...you guys are killing me today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the heat is the trick for the pepper plants, I've never had such a good year!

      Delete
  4. Those Feher Ozon peppers do put a lot of peppers on a small plant. I dried mine last year, and they made a tasty paprika. And I'm with you on growing cauliflower. I can't recall ever getting a decent head on one. I still keep trying with broccoli though. Mine never get as big as they should but I do get enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the paprika, just waiting for them to turn colour! Yellow paprika just doesn't seem appetizing to me.

      Delete
  5. It appears a number of gardeners including myself are having potato plants dying prematurely, I really think it is the heat. You sure have a plentiful and varied pepper harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it's the heat too. I do have a small number that are not dead yet, but they were planted later.

      Delete
  6. Sun-warmed cherry tomatoes are definitely the best! I love peppers as well and plant a ton of them. I've always froze the extras. I do have a dehydrator so perhaps I should dry some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, freezing is super easy too. I have a big freezer so that might be the easiest thing for me.

      Delete
  7. Wow, your peppers are doing fantastic and those are some good looking potatoes. Fresh garden grown potatoes are such a treasure. And that is such a cute chubby little squirrel.

    ReplyDelete