Monday 8 August 2016

Harvest Monday: August 8, 2016


I've had two new harvests this past week, but the main story is all about the peppers.  They are starting to turn colour in larger numbers.


Super Red Pimientos:


Gypsy (a variety of sizes from different plants):


Plus a few King of the North bell peppers as well as the first of the jalapenos and a few Feher Ozon, both shown below.  The three Feher Ozon peppers (on the right) were on a plant that was falling over and had only the three peppers so I picked them early (they should turn a deeper orange, maybe even red).


The beans above were the second harvest of the week.  And on to the new harvest!  I decided to pull out the collard plants due to poor growth so harvested what I could of the leaves.  They have been well nibbled, mainly slugs.


And on the right is a plant that I had not intended to grow, but was given seeds by a friend early in the season so popped a few in the ground.  This is Blitva, or Croatian Chard.  Blitva is also a traditional Croatian dish with the greens paired with potatoes (which is likely how I'm going to use this batch).  It has grown much faster and larger than the Swiss Chard plants I have in the ground, which I've barely had a chance to harvest any of.

And last is just a small bouquet of bunching onions hanging out on my counter until they get used.


I'll be linking up with Harvest Monday hosted by Our Happy Acres.  Stop on by to see what other gardeners are doing this week!


18 comments:

  1. Beautiful pepper harvest, and such variety! Got big plans for them? I'm interested in the Croatian Chard--does it taste different from Swiss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually tried it yet, will update in a day or two once I've eaten some!

      Delete
  2. Nice job on the peppers. Were some of these from the greenhouse? I'm just starting to get ripe peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were almost ALL from the greenhouse. My outdoor plants are still green.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, beautiful peppers! Still waiting on mine to ripen. Beautiful beans too. I love the purple beans, even if they do turn green when they are cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. The purple makes them much easier to harvest and they taste pretty much the same as regular green ones.

      Delete
  4. What an amazing variety of peppers you have! Congratulations on your bounty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa, I'm pretty happy with the success so far this year.

      Delete
  5. Look at all those beautiful peppers! Peppers are one of my top ten favorite garden veggies, oh so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love peppers, and they can get pretty pricey in the store so I think it's a good value to grow them.

      Delete
  6. Lots of lovely peppers there for sure! Those pimentos look really nice. I've never heard of the Blitva, so I will be looking forward to hearing how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like those pimentos too! I'll let you know about the Blitva.

      Delete
  7. Nice selection of peppers. I like pimiento peppers but have never had good success with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not entirely sure how best to use them other than they seem perfect for stuffing. I would not want to roast them as it would be hard to get the skin off with all of those crevices!

      Delete
  8. Your peppers are doing very well this year and I think fresh snap beans are one of the best things from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those peppers look amazing! Mine are only now starting to colour up and even then, there are only a handful that look to be changing at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's that great greenhouse I've got now. Really makes a difference with peppers, although I found the tomatoes couldn't quite stand the heat.

      Delete