Monday 16 June 2014

Harvest Monday: June 16, 2014



Yay, I am starting to get more variety with my harvest; and finally, some greens!  I had arugula last week, but just a bit.  So here I have more arugula, some lettuce greens and a wee bit of kale.  I've reseeded both kale and spinach as they are looking a bit sparse.

I've actually reseeded twice already; I think it was a bit cold when I first seeded but I suspect it might also be that newly seeded gardens look like big litter boxes to Sugar Ray.  Now that most of the plants are starting to come up, that won't be so much of an issue.

So that is 8.5 ounces of greens, almost all arugula, but a bit of lettuce and kale.  And here is what I did with some of it: Spaghetti with Arugula and Garlic.



The rest of the greens went into this dinner BLT salad ... bacon, lettuce (well mostly arugula) and tomatoes with a blue cheese dressing (I just mixed some blue cheese into a store-bought citrus vinaigrette):


And I finally have strawberries of my own!  I have admittedly been envious of others' strawberries but mine didn't take much longer.  I really cleaned out the strawberry patch last fall and got rid of runners and such.  So I do not anticipate as many berries as last year, but I'm very happy for what I'm getting.



I harvested a total of 9 ounces of strawberries over the past few days.  I used 8 ounces to make this fresh strawberry lassi:


And plenty of herbs available.  Peas coming very soon, can't wait!  And it looks like I need to harvest the garlic scapes (thanks to Daphne's post for the reminder). 

Check out other harvests on Daphne's Dandelions each Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Those strawberries look so good! We have only harvested a small handful so far - hopefully they will pick up the pace a bit in the next week or so. And that BLT salad looks yummy - what a good idea, adding blue cheese to the vinaigrette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those strawberries and salad look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm liking your strawberries too. I wish mine would produce more. I think I've only had one year when I was inundated with them. I wish it would happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks delicious, especially that pasta dish. I think I will have to give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm ... pasta. Love it any way I can get it.

      Delete