Thursday 15 August 2013

Balsamic Raspberry Jam


I consider balsamic vinegar to be a bit overrated; there are plenty of other options in most cases.  However, it really seems to work with berries (see one of my favourite combinations here).

I've always bought raspberry jam at the farmer's market as I thought it would be too costly making it myself.  However, since going to the pick-yourself place, it's really quite economical (about $2 per jar for the ingredients), so this is my first go at it.

As with other canning recipes I am not an expert, so if you're not sure what you are doing check with a pro!  Makes 1 litre (4 x 250 ml).

 
Combine:
6 cups raspberries
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Ground black pepper*





*I have only tried this combination once before and did not want to ruin my first ever batch of raspberry jam ... so I only used about a 1/4 tsp of black pepper.  But if you are adventurous, it is a great combo, and I'll definitely try it again with more!

Heat ingredients to boiling, drop to simmer for about 10 minutes.  Process in sterilized jars and hot water bath. OR just freeze it or keep in the fridge for a while ("a while" is not something I give specific advice on, check with health authorities).  :)















No comments:

Post a Comment