Wednesday 21 August 2013

Fruit Tree Update


I planted three plum trees in the spring, but was not expecting any plums.  Especially after seeing the damage caused by aphids nibbling on the leaves.  But one single Satsuma plum has managed to grow!
 
There was a very young apple tree already here when I took over the property but it did not bloom in the spring and definitely no fruit.



I am really looking forward to trying some crab apple butter - I've tried it before but let it go too far during cooking and ended up with something more like fruit leather; still tasty but not what I was looking for.  The red crab apple tree is doing well with lots of small fruit on the way.













But the fruit on this "other" crab apple tree are tiny ... I was referring to it as the green crab apple tree because up until a few days ago, all of these tiny crab apples were green but now seem to be turning red.  I wonder if they are just a later harvest or maybe the tree needs some serious pruning next year?  I suppose I'll find out in another month or two if they get any bigger ...



And I just noticed this tree near the house that has berries all over it.  But I know better than to nibble on anything unless I know for sure what it is!  Hopefully it's edible ... I'll see if I can figure out what it is.





2 comments:

  1. Hi: It's a service berry, a native bush around your area. (Saskatoon berry is a cultivated version of service berry.) I believe it is not poisonous but not exactly tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold Hands Warm Earth31 August 2013 at 13:14

    Yep, I did a quick google search on images, and that's what the bush looked like with flowers earlier in the year. But bush or a tree? I hope it doesn't get much bigger so close to the house ...

    ReplyDelete