Thursday 6 March 2014

Roasted Jalapeno, Shrimp and Avocado Salad

 

This dish truly is a result of whatever I had on hand.  I had purchased jalapenos at least a week earlier and they were slowly drying up the counter (I was going to make an enchilada dish that never happened).  You can always almost extend the "life" of something by cooking it, so roasting these gave me another day or two to figure out what to do with them.

Meanwhile, I had bought avocados for the same reason.  Avocado sounds better in the title of this dish but, the truth is, I made guacamole earlier this day to use up the avocado.  It was only later in the afternoon that I thought of making a shrimp salad.  Although this style of salad can be made with chunks of avocado, it is as often seen with mashed avocado.  So I was already half way there.



I pulled some shrimp out of the freezer, chopped up one of the roasted jalapenos and there was my shrimp salad.  And it took all of 5 minutes to bake some tortillas for a tartine-style appetizer!  Although this is tasty at room temperature, it is best served chilled.


Serves 2 as an appetizer.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound black tiger shrimp (so 15-20 of the 31-40 count size)
1 roasted jalapeno, diced
Guacamole (recipe below)
Green onions or cilantro to garnish
2 tortilla shells, cut into triangles and baked
Chives or green onions for garnish

Steam the shrimp or saute them in a small amount of olive oil.  Season to taste.  Cool slightly then chop into bite-size pieces.  Add the jalapenos and enough guacamole to lightly coat the shrimp. Chill until ready to serve.  Garnish with chopped chives or green onion.



Spoon onto baked tortilla shells or serve as a side salad on a bed of lettuce.

 When baking the tortillas, I spray cooking oil on each side then bake at 350 degrees F.



 
Guacamole


2 avocados, mashed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 tomato, diced
1-2 limes, juiced
salt
2 Tbsp cilantro (optional)

Mix first 3 ingredients in a bowl.  Add lime juice, salt and cilantro to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment