Hmm, I've cut back quite a bit on the number of seedlings I have already started, or plan to start, indoors this spring but only a month or so after planting the first seeds, I've already had to set up the second fluorescent light in the basement. Even with the reduction from last year, I will still end up with at least a hundred or so. And with each eventually transplanted into a 4" pot before going outside, you can imagine that takes a lot of space.
Speaking of 4" pots ... last year I had cleaned up a pile and left them in the basement as I knew I might not be able to get into the greenhouse until late March. That was not enough so I thought I'd check out the now collapsed greenhouse and see if there was a way in to grab some gear. No such luck. Closest to the greenhouse where the snow has slid from the top, the snow is still 3 feet deep. Luckily, after the windstorm did some damage to the greenhouse in the fall, I had pulled out some boxes of brand new 4" pots to store in the garage - I was hoping to barter with them this spring with another grower to save some cash, but I've had to use a stack of them.
This evening I transplanted another six each Brandywine and Black Krim tomato plants which has now doubled the totals for each. And I did the same for about 20 San Marzano plum tomato plants. I am having a hard time pinching away the weak ones; it always seems such a waste. But I know what happens when 2 or 3 healthy plants compete for space and nutrients especially in these little pots. So I'll have to do it soon.
A few days ago, I also seeded some asters and hollyhocks. I'm already a few days behind last year on other flowers including cosmos, marigolds and nasturtiums, but that's just going to have to wait with the late winter weather we've been having.
But I did sow some watermelon seeds as those traditionally need a longer growing season that naturally occurs in these parts - and one has started to show today after only 4 days!
Post a Comment