Thursday 8 May 2014

Pan-Fried Steelhead Trout served with Cheesy Zucchini Rice


Now I don't recall exactly where I saw the idea of cheesy zucchini rice first, but I've seen it several times.  I spend a lot of time browsing food blogs; usually through foodgawkers.com.  I cannot possibly put into words how much I looooove that website.

The rice dish sounded like the perfect way to use up some of that grated zucchini I still have in the freezer from last year!  Whether you use fresh or frozen zucchini, be sure to wring out as much liquid as possible before adding to the pan.



The other recipes for this dish generally involve cooking the rice in chicken stock along with the zucchini.  And I'm sure that method imparts more flavour ... but I took the really easy route.  I just mixed already cooked rice with the zucchini in a bit of stock and added some cheese.  And there you have it ... a delicious cheesy, and mostly healthy (I used brown rice) side dish!  And perfect alongside this pan-fried trout.



As for the trout, I don't cook both sides the way most people seem to.  I leave it skin side down for the entire cooking time to get the crispiest skin!  Just cover with a lid and the rest will cook through.

Rice Dish
1 medium zucchini, grated (about 1 cup)
2 cups cooked brown rice
3/4 cup sharp cheddar

Combine zucchini and rice in a pot with about 2-3 Tbsp stock or water.  Heat through then add the grated cheddar and cook until cheese is melted and the rice is hot.

Pan-Fried Steelhead Trout

Steelhead trout fillets, 3-4 oz per person
Lemon slices

Season the fillets with salt and pepper and allow to come to room temperature.  Heat saute pan and add a small amount of olive oil then place the fillets in the pan (without overcrowding - do them separately if necessary).  Place the lemon slices on top.








Keep at a medium-high temperature.  Cover with a lid and cook until the fillets are cooked through, about 7-10 minutes depending on the thickness.  Check partway through to make sure the skin isn't burning and to avoid overcooking!!


 Serve with cheesy zucchini rice and arugula greens.


No comments:

Post a Comment