Saturday 31 May 2014

Baby Kale Salad with Grilled Portobello Mushrooms, Boursin and Raspberries


I'm having a very difficult time with my greens this year ... there is no sign of the spinach or arugula planted weeks ago and I keep accidentally pulling the kale out thinking it's a weed.  Arrrgghh!

So I just keep buying mixed greens at the store with pretty much those same greens: mostly baby kale with some spinach and arugula. I really love salads with grilled mushrooms or onions and roasted peppers on top.  They can easily become a full meal.  In this case, I had peppers in the fridge but I have other plans for those.


When I decided to grill the portobellos, I had considered making a raspberry vinaigrette but I decided to just use the berries right in the salad.  So use any favourite neutral salad dressing or use this vinaigrette recipe.




I don't normally clean mushrooms too much but in this case they seemed awfully dirty.  Just wipe them with a damp paper towel to clean.







I also removed the gills - this isn't absolutely necessary and I often don't bother.  Definitely remove the gills if you are using them for a mushroom risotto - otherwise you'll end up with muddy looking rice!


Either toss with some olive oil so the mushrooms are lightly coated or just use some olive oil in the pan and pour a bit extra into the cavity (and sprinkle with salt).  Grill until well browned and the texture has softened fully.


Allow the mushrooms to cool then slice.  Toss with mixed greens, fresh raspberries, pieces of boursin cheese (I used pepper boursin) and your favourite vinaigrette.  Add pepper if you like it!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment