Saturday 25 May 2013

Asparagus with Miso Butter and Poached Egg (Momofuku)


I hit a farmer's market earlier today for another batch of asparagus. My own asparagus crowns, planted only a few weeks ago, are barely showing any growth let alone enough to eat!

I would call this a "lazy version" of the original Momofuku recipe, but the original version isn't exactly complicated.  I've simply blanched the asparagus rather than pan-grilling it as called for in the recipe, and my miso butter is just blended in a bowl and slightly warmed rather than prepared in a pan (oh, and I left out the sherry vinegar as I had none on hand).
 
Recipe:

Mix equal amounts of white miso paste and unsalted butter - I used one Tbsp of each for two healthy servings.

Cook asparagus (boiled until just cooked; dumped in ice water to stop the cooking).



Poach eggs:  Add 1 Tbsp white vinegar to shallow pan of water.  Slowly add eggs, cook at a slow simmer until whites are cooked through and yolks are still runny (about 3 minutes).


 


Spread some miso-butter on the plate, add the asparagus, then a poached egg on top.  Season with cracked black pepper.  No salt needed (unless you're a fiend) ... miso is salty enough.






No comments:

Post a Comment