Wednesday 11 September 2013

Irish Apple Shortbread Pie


I made this recipe the first time about 25 years ago. It is a favourite of mine as it is not a super-sweet dessert, but has just enough sugar to really bring out the flavour of the apples.  And I've always been a sucker for shortbread crusts.  I wish I had the recipe I used so long ago to see the source; nowadays every search that comes up has the exact same version so not much point in providing a reference here (but mine has more cinnamon!).

If you prefer something sweeter, just make the whipped cream topping with more sugar ...

The only thing different amongst the various sources is the type of baking pan.  I prefer using a springform pan.  I used a 9 inch springform but, in hindsight, I probably should have used an 8-inch.

I used mainly Lobo apples, plus a couple of Royal Gala I had in the fridge.


Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup chilled butter, chopped
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored, sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg



Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Add flour, white sugar and salt into a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in yolks. Remove 1/4 of mixture, and set aside. Press remainder onto bottom and partway up the sides of an 8 or 9 inch springform pan.


In a large bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Place apples into crust, and sprinkle reserved crumb mixture evenly over top.


Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue baking 20-25 minutes, or until top is golden brown.  Serve with whipped cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment