Sunday 8 September 2013

Recipe for Canning Salsa


As much as I like fresh salsa in the summer, I equally like a cooked salsa during the cooler months.  I only started canning my own salsa last year which is crazy considering how much of it I eat.

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to peeling tomatoes, so for this recipe I run them through a food processor; no peeling required.  This recipe should make just under 3 litres.


Ingredients:
12 cups tomatoes
2 1/2 cups chopped red onion
1 1/2 cups sweet peppers
5 jalapenos (approx. 1/3 cup)*
5 cloves garlic
1 cup cider vinegar*
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp canning salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 can (5.5 oz) tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp lime juice*
1 Tbsp sugar

* Have extra of these ingredients available to adjust after tasting.

Method:

Remove any blemishes, then core and chop the tomatoes.  Place into food processor and blend or pulse until you reach the texture you want.  Do not liquify!  I like tomato chunks to be small as if they were diced.  Pour into a large pot.  Begin heating tomatoes slowly while processing the remaining ingredients.

Next up are the onions, sweet peppers, jalapenos and garlic.  Place in food process and pulse until minced.  Add to pot along with all remaining ingredients.

Allow the mixture to reach a boil then reduce to a simmer.  Taste and adjust flavours as needed.  If it is too spicy, add more tomatoes!!

Cook for 10 minutes more then pour into sterilized jars and process with a water bath method.

I had a bit of salsa leftover after canning so made a quick batch of zucchini fritters to give it a try.  Just grate and squeeze the liquid from some zucchini and potato (I used two parts zucchini to one part potato), and add some salt.  Add olive oil and butter into a medium hot pan and drop in spoonfuls or handfuls of the mixture, then flatten out.  Cook until golden brown on both sides.  Serve with sour cream and salsa.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment