Monday 30 June 2014

Harvest Monday: June 30, 2014


I finally managed to get enough sugar snap peas into the house before eating them that I had enough to prepare a dish with.


I blanched the peas then julienned them for a tasty lunchtime lemony barley risotto.


This week's harvest was pretty similar to last - in addition to the peas, I had various greens including chard, beet greens, several types of lettuce.  It has been so hot (30+ degrees C several days in a row now) that the lettuce wilts in the minute it takes to get from the garden to the house.


I am close to having more variety but just need another few days.  Cukes are on their way along with some hot peppers.



It is very interesting to see what others are harvesting this time of the year in different parts of the world (some close to me, many not).  Check out Daphne's Dandelions Harvest Monday contributors to see for yourself!


7 comments:

  1. I hear you on the weather - and the humidity around here is just awful! Those peas look lovely - mine are just about ready to harvest & I can't wait for that first crisp bite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in the middle of a heat wave right now. I got out at 6:30am to pick the lettuce. I wanted to get to it before it wilted. I'll have to pick the chard tomorrow though as I didn't have time before it started getting hot. And that risotto looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that pepper! I am hoping to get some peppers for my son. He planted about 9 plants, and we have finally gotten some flowers, so here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a hungarian hot wax pepper ... easiest peppers to grow and great for pickling as they'll turn yellow and orange. Hot peppers seem to be easy for me, but I have always had a hard time with sweet peppers. Keeping my fingers crossed for this year.

      Delete
  4. Lovely peas. I already miss having peas, they are so delicious. I also wish the really hot days would go away. Unfortunately here it will stay that way for probably the next three months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to complain about the weather, but it really is too hot already. Whew ... but as you said, it is here for awhile!

      Delete
  5. Lovely harvest. The risotto looks yummy. Our temps with the humidifier is over 105 today. Tuck!

    ReplyDelete