Sunday 14 September 2014

Kale and Ricotta Phyllo Packets

 

This is a very similar recipe to spanakopita using kale instead of the traditional spinach.  I find a number of greens to be interchangeable depending on the recipe (kale, spinach, chard, arugula, beet greens) with variations in flavour and texture.

In this case, kale tends to be tougher than spinach so it should be chopped quite finely and sauteed long enough to soften it.

 Makes 16 triangles.


I used a combination of Tuscan Kale and Russian Red Kale from my garden.


Ingredients:
1 medium red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
9 ounces kale, chopped
3 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 Tbsp chives, chopped
1 lemon
2-3 Tbsp ricotta
2 Tbsp feta
454 gram package of phyllo pastry





Saute the onion and garlic until softened.  Add the kale and cook on medium heat until tender (about 10 minutes).  Add water if needed to help wilt the kale but be sure the liquid evaporates before the next step.

Stir in the parsley and chives then remove from heat.  Allow to cool then juice the lemon into the mixture and stir in the ricotta and feta.  Season with salt and pepper.



For the wrapping technique, please refer to my spanakopita post.  To reduce the amount of butter used for brushing the pastry, I cut the butter half and half with more lemon juice.


Place on a parchment paper lined pan and bake in a 400 degree F preheated oven until pastry is flaky and browned (about 20 minutes).




2 comments:

  1. Oh, these look just wonderful! I've been enjoying the Russian kale raw in salads right now but I LOVE spanakopita and when I have a bit of time I will definitely give these a try. It's kind of funny but it seems that now - when everything is dying off or on its last legs - is the busiest time in the garden & I'm having a hard time keeping up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so much going on in the garden, I agree ... I'm just trying to think of new ways to use up the veggies! I already have kale, spinach and chard frozen for use over winter so need to find recipes to use it now.

      Delete