Saturday 27 September 2014

Vegetable Pie


This is one of those dishes where you can add just about any vegetable you like.  If my broccoli had been ready when I made this, it would definitely have been included - maybe replacing the chard or the peas. Fennel would add a nice fresh taste if available.  And the buttermilk is not really necessary but that is what I had in the fridge.  I quite like the taste of buttermilk in this dish rather than a regular milk.

So I used what I had on hand - this was made a few weeks ago before my chard got nibbled.  I recently noticed some hoof prints around my fall planting of beet and carrots so I suspect it was deer that got the chard.

I've been rather busy with my day job so I've used a purchased pie crust.  Make your own if you do that sort of thing or this can just as easily be made like a shepherd's pie with the veggies baked in a casserole dish and a mashed potato topping (although that might be better if you don't also have potatoes in the filling - but then I really love potatoes).


Ingredients
1 bunch swiss chard
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves 3-4 cups roasted potatoes and carrots
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp sour cream
2 pie crusts
Cheddar cheese
Peas




Wash the swiss chard. Chop the leaves and cut the stems to 1" pieces while still damp.  Cook swiss chard and thyme in 1 Tbsp butter.  Once they have wilted, add the flour and toss to coat.  Cook for 5 minutes.

Add the buttermilk and sour cream. Cook for 10-12 minutes until thickened.  Add in the freshly roasted (cut in bite size pieces) potato and carrot.  The starch in the potatoes will help thicken the sauce.  Allow to cool to room temperature.

In the bottom of one crust, add a thin layer of cheese and a handful (or two) of peas.








 Then add the potato/carrot filling and top with another crust.  Make a small slice in the top crust to allow the steam to escape.









Bake 40 minutes or until crust has browned.


1 comment:

  1. I love pies. Unfortunately, one of my favourite parts of a pie is also the unhealthiest - the crust. But indulging once in a while is a good thing - and all of those lovely veggies do help make up for the bit of crust.

    ReplyDelete