Friday 14 June 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Mascarpone Cheese Pie


This basket of strawberries represents my first ever personal harvest.  I have gone to pick-your-own places before, but I now have strawberry plants in my own backyard!  I have not performed any maintenance as I still need to learn what to do; traversing the strawberry patch was a bit of a challenge as I allowed the suckers to get out of hand.  But it did not prevent me from checking under every plant for the goodies.  Not a huge haul, but enough for this dessert pie, and lots more to come.





And I also found a few tiny patches of wild strawberries near the garage, and just inside the greenhouse (hmm, makes me think of moving some strawberry plants inside so I can eat them sooner).



This is just a regular rhubarb strawberry sour cream pie, but I wanted the Mascarpone for the extra tangy flavour.  Some sour cream pies use flour and others - like this one - use egg to thicken the filling.

1 nine-inch inch pastry crust
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, 1" diced
2 cups strawberries, large ones cut in half
1 apple, chopped
1/2 cup Mascarpone cheese
1 cup white sugar
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces and chilled





I only used the apple because I had one on hand and thought it should be used up, but it works well with the other flavours.  You can mix up the fruit however you want, just try to get about 4 cups worth.


Blind-bake pastry crust for 10 minutes at 350.

Cream mascarpone cheese with white sugar.  Add the egg and blend together.  Stir in sour cream, then add fruit mixture and stir to coat. Pour fruit mixture over crust.







Mix flour and brown sugar in a bowl; cut in butter using knife or fingers until mixture resembles pebble-like texture.  Place topping over fruit.


Increase temperature of oven to 400 degrees F.  Bake pie for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350.  Bake approximately 40-50 minutes further, or until top is browned and crust is baked.

Allow to cool completely before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment